Rowing is an activity that involves pushing a boat on water using oars. It has now evolved as a sport that is employed in Olympic and other racing games. Rowing is an excellent activity for losing weight, building muscles strength and adequate fitness. So, we can achieve full body workout by doing this activity continuously. But, for getting best results, it is necessary to perform this activity effectively by following useful tips and suggestions from other people. There are various rowing tips and drills for becoming an experienced rower and playing wonderfully in sports activities.
Tips for Rowing
- Rowing Stroke – It is necessary to choose a rowing stroke that you can do effectively. If anyone likes a particular rowing stroke, he should have proper information of how to do it for a great performance. The necessary information is an important tip for the rower, especially for the beginners.
- Setting Damper – The damper setting depends on the rower and the ergometer. It is important to know the least resistance that is required for efficient rowing. Damper setting for a drag coefficient of 130 metres is needed for perfect pacing. The setting of the damper depends on the distance of rowing.
- Speeding – The speed requires in rowing depends on the period, the rowing stroke and the person performing the activity. Thus, the normal stroke rate is achieved by a proper stroke that result in more pacing.
- Use Legs For Rowing – Lot of athletes perform rowing without reaching legs extension. Legs are used in delivering an enormous amount of energy, which is required in the rowing stroke. Thus, using feet in rowing is a precious tip for accurate results.
- Effective Grip – Do not hold on so hard to the handle. Keeping an enough grip which do not lose the handle and can not cause any ache or any tearing of palms is a good thing in rowing. Thus efficient rowing is achieved without any injury.
- Proper Sequence – There is proper sequence of legs, hips and arms which is required in rowing. If there is any change in this course, rowing would not be effective. So it is necessary to follow the proper sequence for efficient rowing.
- Keep Your Core Engaged – Do not shoot your back at any time. Always keep your core engaged during the complete stroke. Make a constant angle of your back while driving with the legs. Proper positioning during rowing is a great way for better performance.
- Relax Your Elbows – Do not lift up or tuck your elbows at any position during the rowing. Keeping them relaxed at a particular angle and performing proper rowing stroke is a very useful tip. So, Try to perform rowing with relaxed position always.Read here to know more about workout on stationary bike .
Rowing Coaching Drills
- Use Your Legs And Back Only – In a regular rowing activity, ten strokes of legs & 10 strokes of legs, back and arms are performed. By using legs and back, you can change your position at any time you want to do.
- Avoid Handle Rowing – Move your legs to full compression and catch the place and continue rowing using feet only. By doing this, you can find a rhythm and so keep the rowing without using your hands.
- Inside Arm Rowing – In inside arm rowing, a rower is required to move inside arm further away down blade or onto the back of rigger. By doing this drill, you can perform rowing very efficiently.
- Single Stroke Finishing With Weight On The Feet – The amount of pressure in different positions of rowing depends on the body movements. By ending the pressure on the feet, you can make the double acute phase and perform better.
5. Avoid Using Left Hand – From finish position hold the right hand against the body while extending your left hand and arms straights during the rowing. By doing this, the body swings quickly and catches the position easily which results in very efficient rowing.
Summing up, rowing is a fantastic activity for complete body workout and a very popular Olympic sport. Everyone wants to perform this action effectively so as to get the maximum from it. Thus, it is important to follow some rowing tips and drills that can make the activity an high activity.